Long Beach Quilt Festival 2010



Yesterday, I had a chance to visit the International Quilt Festival held at Long Beach, California.  The show is open throughout this Sunday, July 25th.


This was the first time in my life to visit a big quilt show like this one, so I was pretty thrilled!  

And despite the $11 admission plus the $10 parking (so expensive just to park a car!), and although I did not have enough time to walk through and enjoy looking at all the displayed quilts slowly and spend as much time as I wanted,  I still had a very inspiring and motivating time.

I took several pictures of the exhibited quilts, both contemporary and antique, but I will only post the antique ones which were made in the 1800s and early 1900s, by the unknown quilters.

antique quilts




According to the information provided, some of these antique quilts are multigenerational quilts.   Can you imagine making the same piece of quilt, made by your grandmother and your mother, and eventually completed by you?  That sure is time consuming!!



 


 I just loved looking at the elaborate handwork of the quilters from the centuries ago...









And after I saw all the quilts, I quickly walked through the aisles of booths, booths, and more booths at the convention.  

At the booths area, they sold fabrics, yarns, notions, sewing and quilting machines, baskets, stencils and supplies, irons, antique items, and you name it, there were just too many interesting things to see!

And here are the items that I snatched from the quilt show...

My first feedsack set.  Included are nine pieces of 7" x 7" fabrics.


Lace = 3 for $5




Fat quarters in red, blue and white.  They were approximately $1 - $2 a piece.

Another fat quarter of a Japanese floral fabric


Well, I guess that's it for today.... 

Thanks for reading and hope you all have a good and relaxing weekend ;)


3 comments:

PY said...

Those quilts are amazing!I love those fat quarters you got , beautiful !

FULT elearner said...

Your lovely account reminded me of the recent Sydney Quilt Fair I attended last month (we also have exorbitant parking!). I wasn't as lucky as you were to see antique quilts - these ones are really beautiful. Love your fabric choices, have fun sewing with them!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments!

PY - Yes, those antique quilts were just amazingly beautiful and unbelievable, too!

Cherry pips - Hello! and thanks for stopping by:) Were quilts at the Sydney Quilt Fair consisted mainly of Australian quilts? At LB Quilt Festival, I saw several quilts from around the world, but most of them were American quilts, I think. I wish I could attend the quilt fairs in Aussie one day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails